Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sunkist, not just a brand of oranges


So I had a brilliant idea to take my kids to the city pool. It was going to be great. They were going to swim and I was going to read, knit, and take the occasional dip. It was going to be a day of leisure. Notice I said was.


The first stop on the way was to buy a new gigantor bathing suit because of course, last years is too small. I didn't think I would see the day when I chose a bathing suit with a skirt on it. I am officially old. I did it for the sake of public safety however, nobody should be exposed to the horror that is my thighs.


Fast forward to the pool now. We enter, there are people everywhere, and no available lounge chairs to be found. As we are making our way around the pool looking for a place to park we run into a family we know from church. We decided to take up camp next to them, the kids were happy to have someone they know to play with and the world is good. So there I am, lounging next to the skinniest woman I've ever met. She's almost like an accessory, every big girl should have a skinny friend as an accessory and ever skinny girl should have a chubby friend to make her look skinnier.


As the afternoon came to an end I noticed a bit of a burning sensation on my upper arms and shoulders. Hmmm, I bet I will be a little pink, I thought. Wrong. I am officially a lobster. My arms and legs were somewhat tan before, and they are absolutely fine. But the parts of my body that haven't seen the light of day this season are crispy, red, and sore. At thirty, you would think that I have learned to apply liberal amounts of sunscreen before I take up residence next to a large body of water. Wrong again.


I will spare the pictures on this one, for your sake and mine.


1 comment:

Caps said...

Your blog makes me crave an Orange Crush soda.